Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Autism Controversy, Vaccinations and wrestling inside


Yo, Mum Irene here. Wrestling.

I want to say something about vaccines and autism.

I went to a support group for families with autism a few years ago and was first introduced to the concept that autism might be caused by the vaccines given to our children.

Frankly, the woman was more frighting than her conspiracy theory and message that autism is caused by vaccinations and in particular, thimerosol but I did get the message and I did include it when I first began researching for my senior capstone project during my sophomore year.

Then when I was finalizing my project I discovered that the online documentations, the Wakefield Papers, disappeared from the usual sources. I had to replicate the information through other sites that are more controversial - and I became concerned.

Today, my son's pediatrician is adamant that vaccinations do not cause autism. Sure, I consider her position and interests.

As a society, we can't afford to not vaccinate. I got it.

But consider this, why do we have so many different pain medications? Some are designed to help different areas of the body, but mostly, because not every body reacts the same!
How big of a stretch is it to consider that not every body will respond to vaccines in the same way.


When I was writing my capstone I was a novice researcher so on one hand I took notice when I couldn't locate the papers but on the other, I passed it off that maybe I'd just lost the research thread.

Last night I stumbled across this interview with Robert F. Kennedy JR. Check it out:
video

Perhaps, there is more to the conspiracy theory...

Anyone else have some concerns or problems with vaccinations?

What's your story?


*** NOTE*** I'm not saying we shouldn't vaccinate our children - I do choose to vaccinate but this is a decision I make with informed trepidation and prayer - its not an easy choice for me.

My primary question is this; if there wasn't a problem with thimerosol why was it removed?

My next question is, what's the next
thimerosol - what else may trigger objectionable autism behaviors? (many autism behaviors are actually pretty cool!)

Of further note. My feelings about autism are based mostly upon my experiences with a child who is fairly high-functioning on the autism spectrum. Were my child severely impacted I'd certainly be choosing different battles and making different choices!

I do try to support other parents as best I can and if there is a suggestion or comment from these parents, please, I'd like to hear from you too.


No comments: