Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Doggy Love

Yo, Mick here, the one with the wet nose and pointy ears.

As a dog brother I am well suited to caring for my boy. The best perks are that I get to experience being in love all the time. I mean it; 24-7, 365 days of the year love.

I don’t mean that I give it and don’t receive it.

Nope.

That’s different. Red and I share total admiration and devotion, love.


I know. There is a large amount of literature about the inability of people with autism to express love and frankly I think that’s total bunk.

I mean just look at my boy! He loves me.

In fact he loves pretty much everyone at a base innocent level.

Those bullies, if they would just apologize, stick out their hand and share a high knuckle-five he’d forgive them in a nana-second and become buddies. I know because I’ve seen Red forgive and forget and embrace new friendships.


I am constantly blown away with Red’s level of compassion. If the rest of the world could practice just half of his ability to love unconditionally we’d live in a truly blessed and beautiful society.

So how was it that Red learned to love?

Mum thinks that I have played a part in the process of teaching Red about unconditional love. While he’s had an ability to demonstrate love for a long time Mum says he’s truly blossomed since I arrived in our home.

It could also be maturity and language acquisition or a combination of numerous things. Or, perhaps it is Red’s destiny.

Whatever it is, I am thankful and so are those who come into contact with Red. He oozes warmth, acceptance and love even when he doesn’t receive these in return.

Red loves as we canines do; unconditionally with total adoration, devotion and blind faith in humanity.


Now if I can just help the rest of humanity learn to love this way... Thank goodness there are a lot of us canine brothers out there!

1 comment:

mama edge said...

My 15-year-old, Rocky, hasn't ever seemed attached to anyone beyond immediate family. I really didn't think he could form any new attachments. But recently his dad bought a pup, and all of a sudden Rocky is calling the dog to say "hi" on the phone and telling me he misses the little poochie. It is marvelous to watch.