Saturday, August 30, 2008

Adjusting to Back to school with Autism and ADHD



Yo! Mick here.

The first week or so back to school is typically filled with adjustments for any child or family. For a student on the autism spectrum and their family there are even more adjustments and these can create some intense reactions or require some fairly extreme planning.

Adjustments may include:
  • Back to school rituals for the student
  • Family routines are shifted - again
  • Getting up earlier than in the summer and going to bed earlier
  • New schools (may be same or different school districts or different schools as in transitioning to middle school or high school)
  • New teacher or teachers
  • Meeting new friends
  • Reacquainted with the bullies
  • Switching to school or fall clothes from play or summer clothes
  • Wearing shoes (with socks) and learning to tie them
  • Homework
  • Less time for preferred activities
  • Less time with favorite pets or people (my biggest pet peeve! grin - thump, thump!)
  • Returning to or adjusting medication doses
  • Classroom rules may be different
  • Higher expectations for the student and the student may have higher expectations of others or themselves (even unrealistic expectations?)
  • Expectations which are too low
  • Paperwork demands
  • Learning new skills in and out of classroom
  • Sports or other activities such as band
This list seems to go on and on. Going back to school is quite an adjustment for me too - I seem to have a compulsion to slurp from the garbage can. I just can't help myself. I am that pathetically bored. Sometimes I'll wait for Red on the couch but hey, I can only do that for so long.

2 comments:

mama edge said...

Even with all the foreshadowing and transition-work in the world, there is no way to overcome the sheer magnitude of adjustment that is demanded by school.

If I were queen of the world, I would have year-round school with shorter school days that start in mid-morning so our teens could get enough sleep. Not that summer break isn't lovely, but I'd be great with two weeks instead of three months.

Also, if I were queen, I would ban acne. But that's another story altogether.

Anonymous said...

Mick, am I correct in assuming you're of the canine type? If so, I must applaud your advanced state of intelligence. I don't think I've ever met a dog as brilliant as you... ;)

Ah yes, we are making the "new teacher" adjustment here in my house. Not a good one, I'm afraid. I've never asked a dog for advice before, but I feel compelled...