Thursday, September 18, 2008

Digging Autism


Yo! Mick here.

Sorry, this isn't my best side but I'm digging. I'm an excellent digger.

That's pretty much what we (those of us who care for someone with autism) must do a lot of.

Dig.

What are we digging?

Details mostly. I'm constantly digging for the details about what's going on with Red. For example, he doesn't always let anyone know that he's been bullied. Sometimes I have to ask him (dig) point blank, "Red, did anyone bully you today at school?", to learn the answer to this question.

Digging for solutions is something else we do a lot of. Mum and I do a lot of research about how best to assist Red. We talk with other parents and families who have kids on the autism spectrum for tips and suggestions to help our daily lives function better.

I talk with other kids at the park and school about how to be successful,
what's important to them and so on. I mean, I'm a canine and Mums an adult. We don't always understand a kids perspective or insight into what's going on and important. We gotta dig this information up.

Mum digs in Red's binder and backpack looking for clues about homework, notes from classes and checking out his artwork. You'd be amazed what you can dig up from art!

Like archaeologists, we are careful and vigilant in digging up the clues to (and for) Red. You could say Mum and I have PhDs in Redology.



1 comment:

mama edge said...

Don't forget to dig for the good stuff too. The other day, I point-blank asked if he'd made any friends, figuring I'd get a glare, the ubiquitous "I don't know" or "I hate everybody in that hellhole". But I asked anyway, and he got this silly little smile on his face. "I met these two girls." "Whaaattt? When? How? Why didn't you tell me?" I spluttered. "You never asked."